Federation HQ

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Multiple mods have been added to the forum to add functionality, increase usability, and improve user experience. If you find any issues, feel free to inform Forum Staff.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Forum restart and revamp  (Read 904 times)

TheDoctor

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Wibbly wobbly timey wimey... Stuff.
    • Federation HQ
Forum restart and revamp
« on: October 10, 2015, 03:03:13 AM »

As of today, the old Federation-HQ forum has been backed up and archived. The previous installation has been deleted and all associated files with it, only database backups remain. The forum has been reinstalled on the newest release of SMF software, version 2.0.11 as of this post, and will be kept up-to-date moving forward as time and resources allow.

For the time being, the forum will be named Federation HQ and will utilize the Federation HQ domain name until either;
  • A new name for this community can be settled on and a new domain registered for the site. This might require the forum to be reinstalled but I'll be handling that. It will utilize the same database so nothing will be lost when we do make that transition.
  • We decide to stick with this as the community name moving forward. The domain registration will remain the same.

Regardless of which direction we go, Federation HQ will stick around to some capacity for either my personal use, restore an archived version of the forum, or as an affiliate site to the community. Also, I have a few plans for the future of the forums, listed below:
  • Host move: Currently Federation HQ is hosted on TMDHosting. I have plans to eventually move this too Amazon's EC2 cloud platform. Currently there's a financial limitation to doing this as well as I need to finish researching everything needed for me to host it on my own server on Amazon EC2. Then there will be time needed to test and make sure everything works properly and then transition the forum and database there.
  • Forum Software Upgrade: In time, I would like to transition from a free software platform to a paid version. Something that has better support and better addon's. I'm looking at vBulletin, as it's the version I've always preferred. As this requires me to purchase licensing though, this will be much later in the future.
  • Forum Modifications: There are tools and mods that already exist out on SMF's website for use with the forums. I plan to look through them and if they appear to bring a useful feature or correct a problem with the forum, I will look into installing it. If you notice a mod on their website that looks useful, let me know and I'll look into adding it. This also applies to theme's/skins as well.
  • SSL Cert: As we continue to grow, I'd like to eventually implement certs for the various domains that we use and I hold. This will allow me to better secure the site(s) and forum(s) we use.

We're starting out small but as time goes on I see us bringing on new members whether they be former acquaintances, old friends, or new blood. With all of this in mind, I finally feel like we can put this community in a good position to move forward and grow. There is the possibility for a great many things to be laying in wait for us in the coming future, distant and not so distant, and I'd like to see those possibilities come to pass. We have a great group here who is capable of a great many things when we set our minds to it. Lets continue to move forward, growing and maturing every step of the way as we show the world just how brightly we can shine. And no, not shine like a diamond. =P
« Last Edit: October 10, 2015, 08:43:07 PM by TheDoctor »

The Dreamweaver

• Global Moderator
  • Sleep tight~
Re: Forum restart and revamp
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2015, 03:23:27 AM »

This is what happens when I return from a year long hiatus; a revival of a message board and the dawn of a new era.

TheDoctor

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
    • Federation HQ
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2015, 03:24:27 AM »

It was bound to happen eventually. ;)

TheDoctor

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
    • Federation HQ
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2015, 08:43:50 PM »

Just as a note, I've updated a couple of the things in the initial post. I'll reply to this thread anytime I do so that way everyone can be aware that something has changed in here.

8WhiteFox8

• VIP Members
  • Fanatic
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2015, 03:12:04 PM »

I just finally got a chance to get on, I'll take awhile setting up everything on my profile then get to work on character stuff soon.
Pages: [1]   Go Up